Code Enforcement

The City of Millwood has one Code Compliance Officer (CCO) who answers questions and investigates complaints from citizens on a wide variety of issues including violations of nuisance, zoning, and building regulations.  Based on the nature of the complaint and the results of the investigation, the CCO will work with property owners and tenants to bring properties back into compliance.  Most of the time a warning notice is all that is needed to bring a property back into compliance.  Most citizens are happy to cooperate!

What types of issues can the Code Compliance Officer address?


  • Trash/Debris
  • Junk/Abandoned vehicles on private property
  • Vacant and unsecured structures
  • Rodents
  • Accessory Structures in required yards

Zoning Code Violations

  • Fence height and location
  • Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU’s)
  • Encroachment into City Right-of-Way
  • Obstructions of safe vehicle line of sight at uncontrolled intersections
  • Violations of home occupation licensing regulations
  • Unpermitted uses

Building Code Violations

Building code regulations are located primarily in MMC Title 15 and include the International Building Code and the International Residential Code.

  • Construction/demolition without permits
  • Fire hazards and dangerous buildings
  • Unsafe housing conditions
  • Work outside the scope permit
  • Violating noise standards during construction

How do I report a complaint?

Requests to investigate violations must be made in writing on the required form.  You have the option of requesting that you remain anonymous.  In the rare instances where resolving a violation involves court action, you may be called to testify in court even though you requested anonymity.  However, short of court actions, City staff will not disclose your identity and any documents regarding the investigation and any actions taken will not include your name.

Where can I get a complaint form?

Citizens Action Request forms can be found here or at City Hall.  When completed, the form may be dropped off, mailed or faxed to City Hall.

What is the City’s process for handling complaints?

Once a signed, completed complaint has been received, the Code Compliance Officer will investigate to see if a code violation exists.  Often times, in order to make this determination he will contact the property owner or tenant by phone, certified letter, or in person.  Once a violation is determined to exist, the Code Compliance Officer will work with the property owner or tenant to resolve the issue.  Depending on the gravity of the violation, the Code Compliance Officer may send out a Warning Notice or a Notice and Order.

What if someone complains about my property and I receive a Warning Notice or a Notice and Order?

Bringing properties into compliance once a violation is confirmed is the highest priority.  The Code Compliance service is not funded by fines or penalties.  City staff is willing to work with property owners to achieve compliance.  In cases where compliance can be achieved by allowing extra time to resolve the issue, the Code Compliance Officer is happy to grant time extensions.  However, the person responsible for the violation must contact the City directly to work out arrangements by telephone or email.

Who do I talk to about other issues?